In 1846, just one decade after the fall of the Alamo, Pennsylvania native and Presbyterian pastor, John McCullough, established First Presbyterian Church, the first Protestant church in San Antonio, near the corner of Soledad and West Commerce. The church moved locations a few times over the years before eventually settling at the corner of Alamo and Fourth Street.
First Presbyterian Church has had many senior pastors, including Arthur Gray Jones, P.B. Hill and George Mauze, but it was under the 32-year leadership of Louis Zbinden that the church became known for an increased commitment to local and global mission. As a result, the church was instrumental in the establishment and leadership of numerous local organizations that assist the homeless, poor and those with special needs, such as Christian Assistance Ministry (CAM), the San Antonio Christian Dental Clinic, Mission Road Ministries, the San Antonio Metropolitan Ministry (SAMM) Shelter, Morningside Ministries, Loaves and Fishes outreach to the homeless and needy, and Victoria Courts Childcare Center.
After Rev. Zbinden retired, the church called Richard Kannwischer, who helped the church focus on key ministry initiatives. Under the current pastoral leadership of Ron Scates, the people of First Presbyterian Church continue to build on a long legacy of nurturing faith in action as it lives to make Jesus visible in San Antonio and the world.
Click below to view our 170th Anniversary Video about our history.